History:
Temple Beth Israel was founded in 1852, originally as an Orthodox Congregation. The beautiful sanctuary was built in 1902. The imposing building is noted for its magnificent glass windows and dome overlaid with stained glass. The six windows over the choir loft, symbolic of the six days of creation, follow a design by the English artist Burne-Jones. In 1919 Bernd Hall was added in memory of Gustav Bernd. The hall provides a gracious setting for congregational meetings, dinners, and b’nai mitzvah gatherings. This building houses the congregation’s Sisterhood Gift Shop and its collection of contemporary and antique Judaica. Kaplan Hall, built in memory of Michael M. Kaplan, houses religious school classrooms, rabbi’s study, office, and library.